Saturday, March 28, 2015

Scar Face

This past week, I was abruptly reminded of one reason I am a runner.

While there are many, this particular reason came out of no where and smacked me right in the face....literally. It was a tree branch and I am klutz. Luckily, growing up, I had some talent running in a straight line, or on a course marked with lines (although even that activity lends itself to injury from time to time in my world), or athletics would not have been a part of my life. I think running found me as much as I did it due to my total lack of coordination, grace, or understanding of any sport requiring "plays". So confusing! Ahh!

So, anyway, there I was running (actually post-holing) Cache Creek Trail through the snow on a warm Jackson day, when I suddenly needed to ditch behind a tree....nature calls and I am an expert. Not proud of this, but I am. (future blog post on how to choose appropriate potty spots, execute proper form and what variety of natural items make excellent wiping tools, according to season.)


Business taken care of, I popped up and started back out to the trail, and smack, I took a sharp branch right to my nose and mouth. Oh, ya. I wasn't even running. Klutz. F.

Everything was fine, but man, I bled a lot! I spit huge amounts of blood for the next three miles and received a lot of concerned looks. One guy stopped to ask if I was OK, even though I was running with a friend, but I have to admit, I felt a little bad ass for a second.

Thankfully, the rest of the week, I was reminded of reasons I am a runner by gorgeous terrain, exhausting workouts, good running buddies and satisfaction of a consistent week of training.

The current focus of my training is "strength building", after coming off 8 months of inconsistent training due to a move, house remodel and injuries. Now I am working with my coach to work on mental as much as physical strength and it is coming along steadily.

Week Highlights:

Elk Rfefuge: Easy 7 miles with 10" pickups every 4 min

Wildlife always have the right of way

Mountains for days

My running partner






Game Creek Hill repeats: 30 min warm up,  6 x 4' hills. Just under threshold. Working on form.  25' tempo back home on rolling course. Powering up hills and recovering on the flats.  
Little person, big hill
High School Butte hill repeats: 20' warm up, 5 x 5' steep hills. Working up to threshold by the top. Working on patience on climbs and letting the terrain dictate effort. 
Wore my La Sportiva Vertical K for this workout and loved the flexibility and the trail sense this shoe gave me for the short climbs. Don't think I would want to go too far in it, but its perfectly light and sticky for the ascents.



I'd say the rest of the week was uneventful compared to the facial trauma, but as you can see, that just wouldn't and couldn't be true.

How did you come to find running? Did it smack you in the face, or was it more subtle?

Safe and happy running!

S
















No comments:

Post a Comment